Saturday, November 20, 2010

Gay night clubs a play ground for identity confusion

TOWN, night club, in DC is perhaps one of the must daring gay bars in DC. There seems to be a culture that exists within the gay club itself. I have started to study the culture that exists within gay clubs, largely, in DC. It seems as if the playground is full of confused 'gay' males.
I sat in lounge, put my spectacles on, and observed the array of 'gay' males. It seemed as if the 'white' gay males dressed the same: there was a formula and MAJOR attitude. I could not help myself but laugh as I  saw 'gay' men turn into 'characters' on the dance floor. Interestingly the 'gay' men there who were not, Caucasian, did not seem to blend in as well or were not paid much attention too. Largely, they stuck out more than anyone else.  After much research I have come to terms that 'white' gay males have shaped 'gay' male identity: thus, others who follow 'gay' male identity are seen as outsiders, or, are on the down low. I had been asked by a, black, man to dance. I did not accept his offer: not because he was black, rather, I was not there to dance. I was on a mission to explore and define what has become of the 'gay' male identity. He replied by saying "Girl, you don't wanna fucking dance with me cause I black! Girl you be a Bitch" Ok, so maybe I was a Bitch, although not because I had refused to dance with him.

After refusing to dance I decided I should probably relocate and perhaps take a gander of the men who were dancing near the 'white' male strippers. Interestingly, the 'white' strippers made more money than of the one or two 'black' strippers. I argue this perception exists as 'white' males are the founders for 'gay' identity.  I saw the general manager walking towards the bar, I stopped him asking him 'it seems that you typically use white male 'jocks' for strippers here, "I use what sells" that was the extent of the conversation. That is not to say that he does not use non Caucasian strippers, however, 'gay' men prefer looking at white male strippers.


I gazed into the strippers eyes as they provocatively grabbed themselves in hopes of making a few and wondered who would primarily dance with me if I went on the dance floor. I must say that is was perhaps a confidence booster: I began to dance with 'gay' men whom all seemed to have the same general questions when speaking with me. Hi, my name is, where are you from, your hot, lets fuck. It seemed that most of the 'gay' men that fit the ideal cultural standards such as: white, thin, attractive had much luck when cruising the dance floor. Whereas the non Caucasians and rather plump white males were fist pumping in the corner with the woman and other 'misfits' I began to dance with a gentlemen whose name will be kept. He asked me the general questions, and asked why is it that I was sitting in the lounge earlier as if I were to have been writing 'shit' down. I said, I am trying to study gay bars and why it is that most 'gay' men seem to be confused largely all acting the same. He seemed confused and peeled himself away from me vanishing into the techno music.
It seems that even though 'gay' men are confused with their 'identity' it is not something that is talked about or rather it is ignored. Sadly, many 'gay' men use the gay bars to relieve themselves putting on the biggest productions. This playground is one dangerous playground or in simpler terms an Identity crisis intervention. It is rather interesting when more than half of the crowd has the same or similar interests, clothes, and personality. However, some gay men see it as "omg, we are like soul sisters" not quite, but ok.

So the question is how to I deviate from the white gay male cultural standards: I dress differently every time I go. This allows me to either blend in for detective work or stand out too see if perhaps new trends will emerge: after all it only takes one person to make change.
My next challenge is to go back next Friday and further explore the play ground to find more answers for the shaping of 'white' gay male identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment