Saturday, October 23, 2010

Gay cliches are produced like shiny little toys

This photo above was taken at TOWN night club in Washington, DC.
 
Part of studying queer culture is being apart of it exploring what similarities are amongst the gay men if any? my goal when searching for similarities amongst gay men in queer culture,  is spotting the gay cliches. There were multiple men who entered the club very similarly dressed. Tight jeans, scarves, blackberry's, loud voices all prancing around, like characters rather than themselves. I asked one of the guys was he upset because many of the other guys were wearing similar things and whether or not that  detracted his look? he said "Girl, no these bitches are a hot mess, I am the diva tonight and bitch I know that my D&G scarf is the best" this statement was scary yet highly predictable. Clearly this gentlemen took on this persona acting like a diva, not because that is who he is rather because he is gay. So I ask myself then being gay is a diva who has the best scarf for the night? after clearing up that he is a diva I said do you act this way everywhere you go? his response was "Fuck you, and no I cannot live the gay life in the streets, its like I am two people" two people? "yes, we gay men have standards" what kind of standards, "like you know tight jeans, skinny and bitchy" oh no I was not aware of such standards. It was sad clearly there are roles that are assigned making this queer culture highly predictable and clearly a created culture.
 
The man seem programmed, like he just read a manual on how to dress act and speak for the night. Therefore there are some men who follow queer culture that solely define their identities on socially constructed ques.  Further are these men actually gay? when men were dancing closely towards a few they freaked out as if the men trying to dance with them were diseased.

The word gay clearly did not mean homosexual sex rather it referred to men that wore scarves, tight jeans  having a blackberry in the hand.

My next adventure will be back to DC next weekend to ask the BEARS some questions as I believe they are a subculture within queer culture that are highly known.


No comments:

Post a Comment